Tyre advice

Home Forums Help and advice Tyre advice

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Simon Clawson Simon Clawson 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Simon Clawson
    Simon Clawson
    Participant

I did my first cross race this weekend and I was squirming all over the place on the Frylands Wood Scout Camp, Addington course. Talking to some guys after there are two main issues tyre pressure and tyres.

I thought I had took the advice of letting loads of air out of my tyres. I went down to 40 psi.  Too much everyone said!  I need to be running 23-25psi, and a top end max of 30psi.  Point taken I will run lower pressure next race.

The second was the tyre choice where I used what I had on the bike Conti cross speed. I thought these were going to be bad but I didn’t realise just how bad.

I’ve seen some Challenge Grifos folding and I think the 120tpi versions for £27 which would be the top end of my budget. Would these be a good all-rounder, are there any other tyres, preferably cheaper, that I should be looking at for cross races?

BTW as I said it was my first ever cross race and although I couldn’t fully enjoy it with the tyres I had a great time and it was a really friendly atmosphere.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close